Thursday, April 12, 2012

Stream of Consciousness Day HWAMC Day 12

Today's writing prompt is a "stream of consciousness" post. Basically, we write around a sentence without stopping or editing. For me, this is quite difficult. I have an internal editor that doesn't like to be turned off.

Horse looking in car mirror

Today I looked in the mirror. . . .

I don't particularly like what I see.

My fingers may be puffy and a little twisted, but when I hold a dying patient's hand, those fingers are beautiful.

My body may be overweight, painful, and not work like it should, but when I embrace a patient's family member, my body is beautiful because it comforts.

I have never been considered beautiful, my health issues may leave dark circles, and age has traipsed across my face leaving a few wrinkles, but those things are trivial when you consider what my patients face each day.

As a hospice nurse, my patients don't care if I look like Tyra Banks. They do, however, expect me to be loving and compassionate.

The next time you look in the mirror, look beyond the face staring back at you. Look at the person within. The one your parents love. The one your spouse and children love. Try to see yourself through the eyes of those who think you are the most beautiful person in the world.


1 comment:

  1. You are a beautiful person & a wonderful writer!

    ReplyDelete