Saturday, April 7, 2012

Isolation of Chronic Illness

Woman sitting alone
When living with a chronic illness, there are many times when the isolation is a little overwhelming. 

I recently rented a scooter when we in Disney World and I found just being in a scooter had a tendency to leave me feeling a little isolated. 

At times I waited behind the scenes for a ride while they had my family wait in the regular lines. Having said this, I would like to emphasis that while we had to wait in alternate lines and at times waited longer than the regular lines, Disney World is one of the most handicapped friendly places I've been to. The staff members in the hotel and the parks were courteous and helpful.

Other times, I noticed that people just did not see me. They would cross in front of me causing me to have to stop to keep from hitting them. I don't think they were being rude, they just didn't see me. As I looked around, I noticed the other people in scooters were facing the same things.


A mobility scooter
My Ride for Disney World
Other times, when I haven't felt well-enough to attend church, I felt isolated from my church family. Our church has resolved that issue for us by having live services streaming at http://www.crossroadsodessa.tv and they have developed an app for the iPhone and iPad where we can watch the sermons.


In addition to watching the live sermon, there is a chat option so you can connect with other worshipers.


What other ways can we overcome the isolation of chronic illness?


2 comments:

  1. Marcy, my hubby deals with a chronic illness, and I so admire you both. Just your willingness to share takes away the isolation, in my opinion. For now, when I see my hubby having a tough day, I'll think of you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about no one seeing you. I have encountered that a lot. People jumping in front of me. People slamming doors on me. There are many people in this world who make it obvious that they have to time to wait to hold a door, or wait to allow you to use the crosswalk. But...there are a few...and those few...MAKE MY DAY!

    ReplyDelete